Thursday, November 15, 2007

Politics

I used to hate politics. In my younger days, the minute any politician started talking, my eyes glazed over and I found something more interesting to do.

But as you grow older, become a parent, have a career, and deal with issues like a sick family member with no health insurance, or a paycheck that doesn't cover your basic needs, etc. - you begin to realize just how important it is to know what your representatives are all about, what agenda's they are pushing, and how it will affect your ability to survive in an unpredictable world.

I always identified with the Democrats because I grew up poor and had been led to believe that the Dem's were advocates for the issues that had the greatest impact on those living in poverty, such as affordable healthcare and housing, improved education, and a living wage. But while that may have been true at one time, I'm not so sure it is any more.

These days, politics are all about "spin". There are very few people currently in the running for President (or any other office) whom I feel can be trusted or who I expect to live up to their promises. In fact, despite the fact that the 2008 elections could put the first woman or black man into the White House, I am sorry to say I don't think it will make much difference. Both Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama have been so carefully groomed to appeal to the widest possible voter base that I am no longer sure either of them is capable of having an original thought. And if there is anything America does NOT need, it's another President who can't speak without a script.

I would like to see an end to politicial parties. I would like to see a day when ANYONE can run for public office, without having to kiss the posteriors of campaign donors, even if they aren't independently wealthy. I would like to see the day when we choose who to vote for based on their personal level of honesty, integrity, intelligence, skill, and ability to do the job we're hiring them for.

Most of all, I'd like to see the day when Americans can actually TRUST their government again.

I don't know who I'll be voting for next year. The only candidate that I found to be truly unique and willing to listen to the American people is Mike Gravel. But he is practically ignored in the media, and without the financial resources of a Clinton or almost any Republican candidate, it's doubtful he'll be able to stay in the race.

When that happens, America loses.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Visitors